From Amanda’s blog:
Clock Rewinders on a Book Binge is where Tara @ 25 Hour Books and I shamelessly plug each other, share the fantastic posts, giveaways, or whatever else we’ve found and loved by other awesome bloggers (or authors!) during the week, and talk about the books we plan on reading in the coming week.
Triple review day! My review for the awesome audiobook of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams; The Selection, by Kiera Cass — a book with a super pretty cover, and; The Raft, by S. A. Bodeen, a survival story that was just a little meh.
I talked about ALASKA over on Alexa’s blog for her Travel Tales feature, as well as recommended some Alaskan reads.
Another triple review day! Sweet Valley Saga, by Kate William — a favourite of mine and one of my book relics; North of Beautiful, by Justina Chen Headley — a surprise for me and a book I loved, and; my audiobook review of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith, one that I was quite disappointed with.
My challenge for the Bout of Books readathon, A Book For Every Season, went up! I also posted a discussion looking at the blogger I was in 2009 vs the blogger I was in 2011 vs the blogger I am now.
My review of Timeless Desire, by Gwyn Cready, a nice little time travel romance read, as well as another edition of Book Hoarders Selection with City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare — the fourth book in the Mortal Instruments series.
My review of Pushing the Limits, by Katie McGarry — an awesome novel and another one that surprised me as well as my review of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, by J. K. Rowling, which I was very disappointed with.
This week it was ALL about the books! Lots of reading for the Bout of Books readathon, which was so much fun. Of course, it fell during a week where my hubs wasn’t working (towards the end of it, at least), so while I started out strong, I ended with a slow fizzle. Wish I couldn’t devoted the ENTIRE week to reading!
On the weekend, hubs and I were hosting a BBQ (today, actually), so there were a few days spent doing laundry, vacuuming, steam cleaning carpets, changing sheets, dusting, and various other cleaning things. I wanted the house to be spotless! Thank goodness for audiobooks — I listened to one the whole time I was cleaning!
Other than that, I got my bangs cut. Is that considered news?
Awesome things happening around the blogosphere! Not a lot — I think a lot of people were too busy READING for the readathon!
- Alexa at Alexa Loves Books talked about her dream destinations in another Travel Tales post.
- Kelly at Reading the Paranormal has a great post on the things that make her happy.
- Amanda over at On a Book Bender stalks Amy over at BookGoonie.
- Amanda over at Hippies, Beauty and Books … Oh My posted a wonderful post about the cost and labour of being a book blogger.
*** my listing style for this section is totally stolen from the oh-so-organized Amanda, who got it from Tara. My hope is that some of their organization will rub off on me. Is it possible? Not likely.
Read-in-2012 (154) (<– YES! I passed my goal of 150 books!)
- First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1), by Darynda Jones
- This one was great! A lot of fun.
- Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1), by Jeaniene Frost
- Swoooooon! Bones!!! Loved it! But such a cliffhanger for the next book! Can I wait? I need my Bones and Cat!
- Tempest (Tempest, #1), by Julie Cross
- This was THE top recommended book, but I really didn’t like it. It was confusing and the romance was blah.
- The Demon’s Bargain, by Lisa Alder (novella) - Read my review on GR
- Holy hotness, this was a super sexy read! Loved it!
- Jenny Pox (The Paranormals, #1), by J. L. Bryan
- Smash was right – I TOTALLY loved this one, even if it got crazy weird. Still can’t wait to continue with the series!
- For I Have Sinned (Charley Davidson, #1.5), by Darynda Jones (novella) - Read my review on GR
- A nice addition to the series! Not really a need-to-read novella, but still — nice.
- Corsets & Crossbows (Drake Chronicles, #0.1), by Alyxandra Harvey (novella) - Read my review on GR
- A great addition — sad not to see any of the main characters in the book, but it was good.
- Swim, by Jennifer Weiner (novella) - Read my review on GR
- I’ve yet to read Weiner’s newest book, but this was a great introduction — I loved Ruth’s character!
- Reckoning (Night Huntress, #0.5), by Jeaniene Frost (novella) - Read my review on GR
- Nice to get some more Bones in my life until I can read the second book in this series!
- Wicked Sexy (Wicked, #1), by R. G. Alexander (novella) - Read my review on GR
- VERY sexy. Yum.
- Insurgent (Divergent, #1), by Veronica Roth
- A little long, but still a great addition to the series! I’m glad Amanda got me to read this one!
- Married with Zombies (Living With the Dead, #1), by Jesse Petersen
- This was fun — especially for a non-zombie lover like me.
- The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1), by Jennifer Ashley
- Sure, the romance part of it was good, but I didn’t leave this feeling like I should continue with the series.
- The Tale of the Vampire Bride (Vampire Bride, #1), by Rhiannon Frater
- I am LOVING the gothic tones in this one! Too bad I have no time to read it.
- City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, #4), by Cassandra Clare
- I’m listening to the audiobook for this one (even though I own the physical book!). Swooning over Ed Westwick’s narration.
- Happily Never After (Night Huntress, #1.5), by Jeaniene Frost
- Thought I’d try and squeeze in ONE more novella for Bout of Books! It’s all I have time for!
- One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2), by Jeaniene Frost
- It’s BONES! He’s addicting!
- The Replacement, by Brenna Yovanoff
- I’ve been eyeing this one FOREVER! It’s ‘about time I bought it.
- The Geek Job, by Eve Langlais
- After seeing Kelley’s review, I knew I had to get this one!
- Winter’s Passage (The Iron Fey, #1.5), by Julie Kagawa
- I’m planning to make an effort to continue with this series — hopefully this novella will help!
- On the Prowl (The Others, #6), by Christine Warren
- I saw this at the grocery store. I haven’t even READ the other books in the series!
- Somebody To Love, by Kristan Higgins
- Another grocery store find. Geez, where WON’T I buy books?
I also got this pile of books from the Edmonton Book Blogger meetup last weekend. We all brought some books to trade and I snagged *just* a few. I’m pretty sure ALL OF THESE come from Brie over at Eat Books. I thought I’d just add a picture because I don’t want to list them all.
- Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2), by J. L. Bryan
- After reading the first book in this series, I NEED the second book!!
- The Elite (The Selection, #2), by Keira Cass
- Even though there were definite things I hated in The Selection, I still really want to read the sequel!
copyright date of book you don’t want to know
– I’m sure this one is talking about Lisa Jackson’s book You Don’t Want to Know, but I thought the term just read funny.
what happens at the end of goddess interrupted; how did gabaldon’s voyager end (two separate terms)
– Read the books and find out!
how to tell if a dog doesn’t like you
– I think it should be obvious. Licks? He likes you! Bites? You might want to back off.
How was your week? Have you read anything good lately?
© 2012, Reading In Winter. All rights reserved.